UNDISCOVERED, UNDERUTILIZED AND UNDERGROUND TALENT.
.
.
.

Feb 10, 2011

JONATHAN MCDANIEL


JONATHAN MCDANIEL

Notes: When I first met Jonathan, it was over the phone. I reached out to him to audition for Director Robert Townsend's highly anticipated dramatic feature film, "The Discarded Boyz". We were in the eye of the storm searching for the right actor to cast for the lead, 'Xtra Keys'. When I spoke to Jonathan, I explained the complexities of the character as seen through the eyes of Mr. Townsend and myself. "Xtra is a violent and painfully conflicted teenager, who was forced to grow up too soon and give up on any hope for a bright future. He's unloved by his parents, therefore (in his eyes) he's incapable of loving others. Slowly but surely, it's becoming harder harder for him to hear that voice inside him that tells him he could have a better life; because it's muffled by everyone around him who are successfully convincing him that he is nothing. He's hurting; and hurt people, HURT people." Jonathan listened quietly, then said: I got it. Four days later, Jonathan came in and turned our world upside down. He was perfect. He DID get it.

In a very rare opportunity for me as a Casting Director, I had the pleasure of continuing on during production for the film and spent eighteen days witnessing this amazing actor truly 'become' Xtra. By the second day of shooting, I was in tears, overcome with pride watching a new face rise to the occasion and play such a complex character with ease. I was thankful to have been put in place to act as a bridge to provide this opportunity. I look forward to everyone seeing this breakout star and his hard work on the big screen. "The Discarded Boyz" will premiere July 6, 2011 at ABFF.

No comments: